It's summer in New England and that means fresh blueberries! Yum! What better way to kick off Mommy and Me Meals than with yummy blueberry concoctions, sure to please even the pickiest eaters! Try these recipes for breakfast or as a sweet after-dinner treat.
For babies (six months and older): Blueberry Softies
For toddlers (older than a year): Blueberry Oats
For mommies (of any age): Blueberry Bowl O' Health
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup oats, divided into 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup portions
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tsp 100% pure maple syrup
- Handful of slivered almonds
- Fill a small saucepan or pot with approximately 1/2 inch of water. Bring water to a boil.
- While waiting for water to boil, add whole milk to a 2nd saucepan. Heat on medium, stirring occasionally.
- At this point, the water in the first pot should be boiling. Fill with approximately a quarter of the blueberries. Cover and steam for one minute. Remove from heat, strain to drain the water and put in a bowl. These are the Softies for Baby.
- Stir 1/4 cup oatmeal into the milk. Add a 2nd quarter of the blueberries. Stir and transfer mixture into a bowl (be careful while pouring, it's hot!). This will be your Toddler's Blueberry Oats.
- Using the same saucepan, pour the low-fat milk in and return to heat. Warm for approximately one minute on medium, then add the remaining oatmeal and blueberries. Heat for an additional minute.
- Transfer oatmeal to a bowl, add the maple syrup and almonds.
At this point, the Softies and Blueberry Oats should be cool enough for your little ones to eat. I've found that my meal is usually cool enough to eat after I've taken care of the mini-mouth at the table :)